Popular posts from this blog
Gregor's Room
Paper Sculpture White copy paper and ink. No adhesives. In response to Franz Kafka's short story, The Metamorphosis. Bed Dimensions: 7.5" x 3" x 5.5" In Process Pictures Artist Statement In this assignment we were tasked with creating "room" based on Franz Kafka's short story, The Metamorphosis. The story is not a happy one, and I knew from the beginning that I wanted my piece to reflect the darkness and sadness that I felt when I had finished reading . I experimented with multiple techniques for constructing objects using copy paper and water as an adhesive. The boxspring, dresser, and nightstand were constructed by building "boxes" out of the paper, cutting tabs in the panels, and using water to stick the tabs down. The mattress, pillow, bed frame, and mirror were constructed by wetting whole sheets of paper, squeezing the majority of the water out, and then molding the damp paper into the desired shapes. The color was done last wi...
Ne Regrette Rien
Ne Regrette Rien Movie Inspiration: Portrait of a Lady on Fire (2017) Artist Statement This piece was created to show beauty and sadness of a love story between two women that was not allowed to continue. I used delicate china, flowers and warm colors show the softness and femininity of a sapphic relationship. The flowers are spilling from the cups towards each other, but they do not touch. This division represents how society acts as a barrier, discouraging and preventing people from breaking the heterosexual norm. The yellow and pink flowers run off the plate in opposite directions, depicting two lives continuing on without each other, and the tipped over teacups represent that something important was lost. My goal was for viewers to initially see beauty in this piece, but begin to see the deeper meaning and sadness as they look closer at the details and composition.
Comments
Post a Comment